Birchgrove Public School is an inner city school established in 1885, in what was then a high density housing area for workers from the mines, docks and heavy industry located nearby. With expansive harbour views the school was refurbished in 1994, maintaining its distinctive Victorian facade and interior, complete with high ceilings and circular wooden staircases, but allowing the development of all the facilities required of the modern classroom.
The school has a two unit pre-school which is part of the whole school organisation. The local area is rich in the culture and traditions of early European settlement in Australia. In more recent times, demographic changes have occurred as a result of real estate shifts - acceleration of real estate values and creation of a fluid rental market.
This has required the school to respond to a greater diversity of student's needs. Generally, it is a well-informed community with various interests in academic, humanitarian and artistic issues. The community has high expectations of student achievement.