Berkeley Public School is situated in an established residential area on the shores of Lake Illawarra including public and private housing. The school was established in 1858 and grew significantly following the establishment of a migrant hostel in the district in 1951.
Staff at Berkeley Public School are committed to helping all students develop the skills necessary to become life long learners. During 2000 the school has been recognised for attaining exceptional standards in the arts, sport and the delivery of literacy programs. Berkeley Public School has been granted Priority School Funding for 2001.
This funding will ensure the continuation and further development of programs implemented under the Disadvantaged School Program in previous years. These programs enable the school to provide learning experiences and opportunities so that all students have an equal opportunity to achieve their potential.